If you’re eyeing your living room or a bedroom for a remodel, here’s something to think about along with selections and budget. Consider incorporating some of the principles of feng shui, which is the ancient art of placement based on the belief that everything has energy. It explores how energy in an environment affects your life, and how to improve this flow of energy (also known as Chi) to promote a healthier balance in your life.
Previously, we discussed feng shui tips for a kitchen or bathroom remodel. Now let’s look at how to create better energy in your living room or bedroom.
Feng Shui Tips for Bedrooms
Bedrooms tend to represent relationships so focus on serenity, intimacy and coziness for these rooms. Principles include:
• Use subtle lighting
• Paint and decorate with warm colors like browns, lavender, creams, chocolates, earth tones; cold colors like whites, blues and greens are not the best choices for bedrooms.
• Use comfortable furnishings, with soft edges, avoiding sharp corners or angles.
• Put a night stand on each side of the bed, and keep walk paths on both sides of the bed to encourage equality.
• Make the view across from your bed a relaxing or inspiring one because this will be the first thing you see in the morning and the last thing you see at night.
• Position your bed in one of the “power positions” (above) to avoid disrupting sleep or causing health issues.
• Avoid placing heavy artwork or décor above your headboard that could fall off and hurt you.
• Avoid placing your bed under a window if possible.
• Decorate in pairs; use two vases, candles or lights to strengthen the unity of your relationship.
Feng Shui Tips for Living Rooms
Living Rooms are said to suggest the type of relationships you have with other people, and therefore should be comfortable, welcoming and relaxing. They can tell the world who you are and how you like to express yourself. Ways to achieve this include:
• Display photos of family, friends and inspirational people.
• Use colors you that you enjoy or make you happy.
• Have enough seating for each family member if they were to gather at one time.
• Group furniture in ways that encourage conversation.
• Keep the room well lit; during the day bring in as much natural light as possible, and at night use many layers of light.
• Arrange the TV and other electronics so they can be hidden when not in use.
• Position the main piece of sitting furniture so you can see the front door without having to turn around.
• Avoid using furniture with sharp edges or corners, and the same applies to plants with sharp leaves!
The art of feng shui promotes living gracefully and productively, and many of these tips are relatively simple to incorporate into your living room or bedroom remodeling project. Should you need help, the designers and carpenters at St. Louis remodeling company Mosby Building Arts would be happy to help you bring better energy to your home. Call the Mosby office at 314.909.1800 or contact them here.